- Research project aiming to improve methods for assessing the impact of development aid in conflict zones.
- Christoph Zürcher, Professor, Graduate School of Public and International Affairs, University of Ottawa
- German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development, Evaluation Unit
- FU Berlin, SFB 700
Project Details and Goals
- What impact – if any – does aid have on the peace building process in conflict zones? What strategies work, and why? As aid money is increasingly seen as investment in peace, and as the strategies and activities of security and development actors working in conflict-ridden countries tend to converge, such questions have become salient. The logistical challenges in conflict zones have often made conducting evaluations impossible due to budget and time constraints. This project seeks to develop a method for assessing the impact of aid in conflict zones.
- The project uses northeastern Afghanistan as a test case, applying both quantitative and qualitative methods.
- Project’s webpage